• Advertisement
To advertise, place classifieds free ads by category in a forum as a new topic, or in the classified display ads section, or start a classifieds free blog.

Justin Trudeau Pledges Ban on ‘Military-Grade’ Semiautomatic Rifles

Postby smix » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Breitbart News

URL: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... ic-rifles/
Category: Politics
Published: September 21, 2019

Description: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pledged a ban on “military-grade” semiautomatic rifles in an attempt to redirect his campaign after his blackface controversy.

when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong.jpg

City News reports that Trudeau announced the rifle ban on Friday in Greektown, Toronto, the area of the city in which a gunman shot 15 people, killing two, last year. Trudeau said, “We know you do not need a military-grade assault weapon – one designed to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time – to take down a deer.”

laughing-bear.jpg
Tell that to the bear the next time you meet face to face in the woods...

His ban includes a two-year amnesty for current owners of the rifles. He also wants a buyback so the government can pay owners when they hand their rifles over. CBC quoted Trudeau saying, “People are dying. Families are grieving. Communities are suffering. So we’re going to do more and we’re going to do better. Thoughts and prayers are just not going to cut it. The choice could not be clearer: Liberals are for tougher gun laws, Conservatives are for weaker gun laws.” A rifle ban would not have prevented the Greektown attack, as the attacker used a handgun.
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)

Trudeau pledges tougher gun control as he tries to get campaign back on track

Postby smix » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Trudeau pledges tougher gun control as he tries to get campaign back on track
City News

URL: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/09/20/ ... n-control/
Category: Politics
Published: September 20, 2019

Description: Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is promising to ban all military-style assault rifles as part of a broader gun-control plan that would also take steps towards giving cities more powers to restrict and ban handguns. Trudeau made the pledge Friday in Toronto as he tried to get his campaign back on track after spending Thursday apologizing for wearing blackface years ago. The announcement took place in the city’s Greektown neighbourhood, where a gunman killed two people and wounded 13 others last year. The issue of gun control is important for many voters in Toronto, which is also a critical region for the Liberals’ re-election hopes in next month’s election. Trudeau said the pledge to ban assault rifles includes outlawing the semi-automatic AR-15, the weapon used in many recent mass shootings in the United States. “We know you do not need a military-grade assault weapon – one designed to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time – to take down a deer,” Trudeau said. He said in 2017 there were 2,500 more victims of gun violence in Canada than in 2013. Trudeau also acknowledged that despite his government’s efforts not enough has been done to address the issue. Under the plan, the Liberals pledged to work with provinces and territories to empower municipalities to further restrict or ban handguns. Trudeau promised to protect the rights of law-abiding hunters and vowed not to re-establish the long-gun registry that was scrapped by the previous Conservative government. The proposal also includes pledges to create a buy-back program for all legally purchased assault rifles and a two-year amnesty while the program is being set up. The Liberal campaign is likely hoping the event will turn the page on the controversy over images that surfaced in recent days of Trudeau wearing skin-darkening paint years ago in three different instances. The story made international headlines and caught the attention of other world leaders. “I was hoping I wouldn’t be asked that question,” U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters in the Oval Office earlier Friday. “I’m surprised and I was more surprised when I saw the number of times and I’ve always had a good relationship with Justin,” Trump said while sitting beside Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison. “I just don’t know what to tell you. I was surprised by it, actually.” Trudeau, who has said he deeply regretted donning blackface and is embarrassed by the actions that he’s called racist, was asked about how the story might affect his international credibility. “My focus is on Canadians who face discrimination every day, Canadians who are racialized, who live with intolerance and marginalization as part of their daily experience – who I hurt,” Trudeau said. “I apologize deeply to them and I will focus on continuing what I have tried to do as a leader, which is to always stand against racism and discrimination at home and on the world stage.”

trudeau-turban.jpg

Trudeau also said he planned to call NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh to offer an apology. Singh, the first member of a visible minority to lead a federal political party, is a Sikh who wears a turban as part of his faith.
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)